The MBS degree is a combination of an MS and a MBA degree (see http://psm.rutgers.edu). Students in this program choose a particular science concentration, accompanied by a business curriculum.
The science concentration consists of 24 credits and the curriculum is set by the unit offering the concentration. The business curriculum consists of 19 credits and is almost completely prescribed (see the business curriculum for details). Students do not write a thesis and are expected to do a Capstone project.
The Department of Computer Science in Rutgers-Camden offers a concentration in Applied Computing. This program is tailored to students that are interested in a more applied program than the traditional MSCS degree program, who seek the master’s as a terminal degree that will offer better opportunities for them in industry. This program is also suitable for working professionals that have some kind of scientific training and want to improve their computational skills, but feel they do not qualify to apply to the MSCS program because their undergraduate degree is not in CS.
The target candidate for this program is someone with a science or engineering background, seeking professional training in computing skills that are most applicable in industry. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science is not a requirement to apply to the program.
- A bachelors degree in any basic science or engineering field, with a GPA of at least 3.0 (a B average). Original transcripts are required.
- The following background in basic Mathematics is required:
- Calculus (the equivalent of the calculus sequence 50:640:121, 122) and one or more other Math courses. Some examples are Probability and Statistics (the equivalent of 50:960:283, 284 or 50:960:336), Linear Algebra (the equivalent of 50:640:250), and Discrete Math (the equivalent of 50:640:237 or 50:198:171).
- Applicants with an inadequate background must remove all deficiencies (by taking the equivalent undergraduate courses), before being considered for admission.
- Satisfactory performance on the GRE General Test (original reports required).
- Two letters of recommendation (see the application forms): preferably, one of those letters should be from an academic supervisor.
- An academic and professional resume and a personal statement (at most one page long) about the candidate’s motivation for seeking an MBS degree in Applied Computing.
- For applicants whose native language is not English, satisfactory performance on the TOEFL.
- Optionally, other supporting information, such as work or academic experience.
All students first take courses that provide a strong foundation in programming and algorithms relevant to current and emerging computational applications. Non-CS majors are required to take two background courses to acquire basic programming skills. In addition, students must take at least four of six core courses that relate to a wide range of science and engineering applications. In addition to these requirements, a total of eight courses (24 credits) must be taken.
- A minimum of 24 credits in the Applied Computing concentration and 19 credits of the business curriculum must be completed.
- Grade requirements: To graduate, the student must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0, or better, in the required 24 graduate credits. No more than 6 credits with grades of C or C+ may be used in meeting the requirements of the MBS degree.
Subject to approval by the Program Director, students may transfer up to eight credits from other graduate Computer Science programs toward their MBS degree provided they satisfy the following conditions:
- The student has completed at least 12 credits with grades of B or better at the Graduate School in Rutgers-Camden.
- The courses transferred cannot include credits for a thesis, independent study, or research.
- The transferred credits have not been (and are not intended to be) counted towards any other degree.
- The courses transferred have been taken during the six years prior to the application for transfer credits.
How to Apply
To apply and review admissions information such as application deadlines and where to mail supporting materials, please visit the Application & Admission Requirements webpage.
Computer Science Graduate Program Director
Phone: (856) 225-6122
Department of Computer Science
BSB Room 322
227 Penn Street
Rutgers University- Camden
Camden, NJ 08102
Tel: (856) 225-6077 | Fax: (856) 225-6624